How we help our children move on successfully
Getting children ready…
- Staff are always available to speak to parents
- Key person and families work together and parents are encouraged to add to their child’s profile (family observations)
- Staff meet with parents regularly to share assessments and children’s profiles (learning journeys)
- Consultations are carried to discuss development
- Staff make referrals if necessary i.e. speech therapy
- Staff inform parents about school enrolment deadlines
- Staff chat with parents to help alleviate any concerns.
In the setting
- Staff always talk positively about school
- We read stories about going to school and we have made our own going to school book which the children take turns to take home to share with their families
- During the summer term before the children are due to start School we hold a weekly special Rising 5’s session. These sessions are slightly more structured and they also incorporate P.E. session to help the children dress and undress independently
- Staff accompany the children when they have their school visits.
Pre-school visit school often for the following events/activities: Christmas Concert, Sports Day, Library visit for story time, Friendship day, and other special events. We also use the school playground for listening walks. Reception class visit Pre-school for our Christmas Concert, we also do shared activities such as learning about sun safety and we grow potatoes together.
Links with School
- Regular meetings with Mrs Southgate (Reception Teacher)
- We share information with Mrs Southgate informally and formally
- We decide visit dates and induction dates together
- We liaise between school and parents
- We give out information about visits, uniform etc.
- We complete transition forms and share and discuss with parents and Mrs Southgate.
- Throughout the year we share resources for example; Pre-school borrow books, musical instruments and dressing up clothes
- Reception have borrowed books and toys from Pre-school.
Links with other Schools
- Teachers are encouraged to visit Pre-school to meet the child
- Key person and teacher meet to discuss and share information.